A Guide to Using Hand Sanitiser
The majority of the health authorities and scientists worldwide have reached a conclusion: washing your hands with water and soap is the preferred method to properly kill all types of harmful germs and bacteria that might be living on your palms. Scrubbing for 20 seconds, avoiding touching the tap after your hands are clean, and drying hands using a clean towel are well-known guidelines in tackling the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses. Handwashing should be done as often as possible and whenever our hands are evidently dirty.
When is Hand Sanitiser a Good Alternative to Traditional Handwashing?
However, it’s a known fact that washing your hands with soap and water isn’t always possible. Examples of this may be in the office where you may want to consider providing individual bottles at employee’s desk stations or at supermarket entrance ways. In these cases, hand sanitiser can be a good-enough alternative to traditional hand-washing, but it is not as effective and it does not kill common germs such as:
- Clostridium difficile
There are a whole range of other workplace and commercial settings that may benefit from industrial hand sanitiser including:
- Hair and beauty salons where water is not easily accessible for clientele
- Hospitality and retail settings - you may want to provide hand sanitiser on tables to encourage best practice hygiene routines
- Manufacturing facilities on the production line
- Warehouse and Distribution centres
- Gyms and leisure centres so members can sanitise hands between using different pieces of equipment
- Educational settings in classrooms, lecture halls and staff rooms. Halls of residences in universities may want to consider placing hand sanitiser stations at entrance points particularly as these spaces are often shared between hundreds of people.
- On public transport - packets of hand sanitiser gels and wipes could be provided to those who use trains, buses or planes.
Choose a Commercial Hand Sanitiser with at Least 60-95% Alcohol Content
Having said that, hand sanitiser with between 60%-95% alcohol content is still effective at removing viruses such as covid-19 when the routine is performed correctly. While non-alcoholic hand sanitisers may be needed for those with sensitive skin, the CDC state that less than 60% alcohol content or alcohol free hand sanitisers may only work to reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them.
Further research suggests that it takes 20-30 seconds to kill the virus on hands when using hand sanitiser with 60-95% alcohol content however alcohol-free alternatives can take up to 2 minutes to kill the germs on hands effectively. It was found that these alternatives were being used frequently in public settings so to be confident that you are keeping your staff, visitors and customers safe; opt for hand sanitisers with the correct alcohol content.
It is also important to remember that hand sanitiser won’t have any effect if our hands have dirt or other types of organic matter on them, like oil or grease. Additionally, since the most widely recommended hand sanitisers should be made from at least 60% alcohol, it could be potentially harmful for your skin if used too often or in larger amounts than advised.
Steps to Clean Hands with Hand Sanitiser
Taking the previous precautions into consideration, these are the main steps to properly use waterless, alcohol-based hand sanitiser:
- Step 1: Place the recommended amount; a drop about the size of dime, in the palm of your hand (read the manufacturers’ instructions first in case you need to use a different amount).
- Step 2: Rub your hands together and cover their entire surface, including between the fingers.
- Step 3: Stop the friction once the sanitiser on your skin is dry.
Cost-Effective Wholesale Hand Sanitiser Solutions from Citron Hygiene
Citron Hygiene offer a wide range of consumable items from our Shop; available at cost-effective prices when you buy in bulk. At this all important time, it’s vital that you are supplying the essentials to keep all who come and go safe. We offer a variety of commercial hand sanitiser solutions including 100ml hand sanitiser and 500ml hand sanitiser depending on your business’ needs.